Today is the day every Machead has been waiting for since last September.
At 9am PST/ 12pm EST, Our faithful leader Steve Jobs will get on stage and "boom!" us with a slew of new and put-down-your-pantsable products from apple.... we hope.
- iPhone - If this baby gets announced, it won't be called the iPhone (Cisco actually owns the rights to the name)... maybe the macphone... mmm sexy... Anyways, diggnation's Kevin Rose is call the deets for this one, claiming GSM and CDMA capabilities launching this month on all carriers. It's going to be sexy small, with various memory sizes available and could possibly be a slider phone. This product has been the desire of so many for so long, and if Apple doesn't give us something we can use to call our mother with... Apple may take a serious hit to its already unstable stock. On the long shot... Apple may give us the holy grail and slam as many mac functions as possible into their first official multimedia mobile computer.
- HD iTS Downloads - Jobs promised this would happen early first quarter 2007.
- More Mac OSX 10.5 clues - Job's will very likely be "boom"ing along to a slideshow presentation giving more info on Leopard, along with launch dates and prices.
- Touchscreen iPod - Talked about for the longest time, the touchscreen iPod could toss Zune into even more of a tizzy. Equipped with a widescreen display, and nixing the cult click wheel for a new intuitive (smudge-free?) touch navigation system. Add wifi or some sort of sharing capability.. and Microsoft will be forced to consider a new approach on the Zune.
- iTV - Jobs unveiled Apple's first official set-top media connecting device in September... claiming for an early 1Q 2007 launch... however word has spread that the iTV will not be ready for MacWorld... Jobs will probably just give more info and a date and price.
- Spec boosts! - Draft-n wireless support, Quad-core chips, and bigger displays.. You never know what you'll get, but Apple is always good about beefing up its current products when it launches its new ones.
Come back after Lunch (I'll be eating Chinese and blogging on my lunch hour...) for the goods.
here are "as I get em" updates on the Macworld conference. I also stickied this post for now. Up to the date information gleamed from MacRumors.com
11:45am EST - The online Apple store is down... this is normal...
12:05pm EST - Everyone has been let in and the conference will begin shortly.
12:11pm EST - haha!! Sheryl Crow's "Every Day Is a Winding Road" plays in the background as people still take their seats.
12:16pm EST - Steve is on Stage! Click the link below to catch the rest of the updates!
12:16pm EST - Steve talks about the success of the native Intel macs.
12:25pm EST - Steve talks about the success of iTunes, disney partnership. Confiirms Paramount Partnerships. Makes fun of Zune... Chinese arrives...
12:30pm EST - the iTV... err.. Apple TV as it's called now. 40GB HD, 720p HD video, hdmi component usb rca wireless, 802.11 g,b, and n, intel powered, store videos music and photos, use iTunes to sync, dl content form iTS, stream up to 5 computers, uses apple remote. Steve gives a live demo.
12:35pm EST - Steve demo's photo streaming with the iTV/AppleTV
12:40pm EST - Apple Updater just prompted me to upgrade iTunes to 7.02. I've been neglecting for a while... what a coincidence it reminds me again at this time.... hmmmm.
12:42pm EST - Job makes every go nuts as he announces three new products.. the widescreen ipod, the mobile phone,, and an internet communicator.
12:45pm EST - Oh Snap! Jobs tricks us! Its three devices... in ONE! and it IS the iPHONE!!!!!!
12:48pm EST - Jobs talks about how every phone, even smartphones, are simple and not good enough.. talks about the iphone being years of research in the making. The iphone is meant to be simple and easy to use, with simple navigation and big features.
12:50pm EST - Jobs talks about how they got rid of all the buttons and invented a heavily patented tech called "multi-touch." No keyboard, no stylus... just a smart system to use your fingers with.
12:55pm EST - It RUNS OSX!
[image from Engadget's live coverage.]
12:57pm EST - 8GB, music, widescreen video, 2MP camera, syncs with itunes, cingular branded, can sense if you are holding is widescreen or portrait, 11.6mm thin
1:05pm EST - GSM, EDGE, Wifi + Bluetooth 2.0, quadband.... steve demo's phone capabilities. no 3G.
1:10pm EST - Visual voicemail allows you to pick which message to listen to... instead of having to sit through 5 to get to the 6th.
1:15pm EST - onscreen keyboard claimed to be easier to use than those "plastic keys on a smartphone." boy... Jobsy hates those smartphones eh? SMS messaging, pick up conversations where you left off.
1:17pm EST - rich featured HTML email with IMAP or POP, uses real web browsing with safari.
1:18pm EST - intelligent connection switches automatically between EDGE and Wifi for optimal speed. push-imap mail free from yahoo, same as blackberry.... (I hopes this will work for T-mobile.....)
1:25pm EST - Steve spends a while showing how well safari works on the iPhone... goes to Amazon.com... multi-touch technology lets you zoom in and zoom out of fully rendered pages with pinch and pull gestures...
1:30pm EST - Steve calls this a revolution of the first order... This phone is serious business
1:32pm EST - Apple CEO Eric Schmidt on stage... they joke about a merge... "merge without merging," talk about the push for collaborations and new technologies for consumers... pats Steve on back for a good job.
1:35pm EST - Oh man, Yahoo in the house too! Co-Founder Jerry Yang walks up and they chat about all the yahoo apps designed for the iphone.
1:40pm EST - Steve's gives a demo situation of the iphone and then ask jokingly how it stacks up to other phones
1:45pm EST - Shows features and some accessories... and talks about pricing....
1:48pm EST - 4GB model $499, 5GB model $599, available in June...
1:49pm EST - on Cingular.. the exclusive US carrier.. in japan for 2008.. ahahaha bout time japan gets fucked out of a good phone!
1:57pm EST - after the grande ole Partnership speech with Cingular... Steve's clicker stops working and they rush backstage....
2:00pm EST - Chaos subdued as Jobs announces that Apple Computer Inc. is no more... say hello to Apple Inc.!
2:03pm EST - Oh look... last keynote (Showtime 2006) had John Legend... this year... John Mayer....
2:05pm EST - John Mayer plays "Gravity" Steve gets choked up thanking everyone... (it also seems that John Mayer is a staple at Macworld.
2:08pm EST - John Plays "Waiting for the world to change"
2:10pm EST - Steve and John hug, and John thanks Steve for making the world fun.
2:12pm EST - Show's over guys... James Brown "I Feel Good" comes on and thats it.